- This event has passed.
Call for Papers: 2015 International Conference of ISEAS/BUFS
The 2015 International Conference of ISEAS/BUFS
Date：24 April 2015
Venue：The Institute for Southeast Asian Studies, Busan University of Foreign Studies, Busan 609-780, South Korea
- Regional Characteristics of Southeast Asia and Its Comparison with Others
- Approaches to Southeast Asian Studies: Methodological Quests
In the course of history, Southeast Asia has engaged and been exposed to contexts and cultures beyond it. The concept of “culture” here covers not only art and but also the general intellectual transmission that influenced society, politics, and economy. Much of contemporary times shape the regional characteristics of Southeast Asia. In these, we may find articulations of “uniqueness”, “connectedness”, and “hybridity”. The comparative studies between Southeast Asia and these other contexts and cultures (i.e. India, China, Europe, the Mediterranean, and Latin America) would provide a useful venue to further explicate the unique characteristics of Southeast Asia.
For 10 years now, ISEAS/BUFS has been involved in a research project sponsored by the National Research Foundation of Korea. The research agenda is “The Recognition and Construction of Southeast Asia as a Holon: Building Southeast Asian Studies on Compounding Area Studies and Cultural Studies.” In order to bolster the research project, the ISEAS/BUFS plans to organize an international research team which will develop new approaches into Area Studies, specifically Southeast Asian Studies. The planned international research team will operate for 4 years, periodically conducting seminars, field research, and conferences.
Scholars interested in the aforementioned filed are encouraged to submit abstracts to ISEAS/BUFS.
For the 2015 International Conference, the ISEAS/BUFS invites scholars to submit proposals on the following conference themes covering a broad range of humanities and social sciences subjects:
- Unique and relative characteristics of Southeast Asia.
- Cultural overlaps and hybridity in Southeast Asian Culture.
- Comparative Studies of Southeast Asia and the following contexts and cultures: India, China, Europe, Mediterranean, Latin America.
- Methodological Quests in Area Studies.
- Creative Approaches to Southeast Asian Studies.
Submission of Paper and Journal Publication:
- Deadline of abstracts, accompanied by the proponent’s curriculum vitae: October 30, 2014
- Submission of Full Papers (for invited proponents only): March 15, 2015
- After the conference, presented papers are expected to be improved and/or revised by the authors for submission to SUVANNABHUMI: Multidisciplinary Journal of Southeast Asian Studies, for the consideration of publication.
- Submissions should be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please check HERE